Dr MAMATHA P RAJ
From Director’s Desk
The Department of Architecture currently offers programs in B. Arch, M. Arch (Habitat Design) and Doctoral program under VTU, Belgaum. The Department is proud to have a faculty team of dedicated, qualified and energetic professionals. The faculty believe that the concerned multidisciplinary approach is vital for the study of Architecture and consistently seek new ways to update their skill-sets to broaden their knowledge horizon.
The Department has been a podium of creativity, knowledge and energy. It incorporates strengths from both the faculty & students. The Curriculum accentuates on study, research, analysis and inference that allows the students to explore new terrains exposing them to diverse physical & cultural settings. We strive consistently to ensure the grounding of architecture in both social and material issues, understanding the intricacies in the need to design and build, moving forward with the experience!
The Department aims to provide enriched academic environment to students towards becoming future architects par excellence at National & International levels whilst introducing the essential values to pursue and fulfil the aspirations of the society in creating better places to live and to nourish.
The UG, PG & Doctoral programs in Architecture emphasize on the fact that students and research scholars are expected to be committed, responsible towards the course objectives. The working method involves both formal team work in groups and independent individual works. For both, design studios and theory courses, continuous evaluation of student’s works is carried all through the semester, finally ending with semester end assessment.
The Department believes in engaging students in reality and exposure to hands-on activities. To facilitate this, Department conducts extensive architectural competitions, site visits, workshops, seminars, study tours, extended lectures from professionals from academia and industry. The faculty also includes visiting and allied faculty with expertise in varied fields.
Department of Architecture was started in the year 1980. Since then the Department has flourished under the motto of ‘Foster growth & Creativity’. B. Arch, under-graduate program is a five year program leading up to the award of B. Arch degree. It is approved by Council of Architecture- New Delhi (COA), India. Currently the intake is 120 per year.
B. Arch curriculum is centered on a rigorous design studios based on increasing complexity with the onset of every semester along with other significant mandatory courses as well as a range of electives. The students are prepared to be successful architects as well as purse higher studies in the world’s best universities.
Post- graduate course
Master of Architecture in Habitat Design is one of the first of its kind in the country. It offers a holistic approach and identity while linking Under-graduate and Research programs. The PG program commenced in 2005 with an intake of 20. It is affiliated to VTU, Belgaum & recognized by COA, New Delhi.
The program is of Two years with four semesters; each semester is of 18 weeks duration. Mandatory practical training of 8 weeks duration is between second and third semesters. The program is structured as mainly studio oriented with strong emphasis on theoretical base. The students are encouraged to take up live-projects, participate in seminars, conferences and competitions. They publish quality papers at National & International levels.
Doctoral program was started in the year 2010 affiliated to VTU, Belgaum. The program with its rigor and practical significance is consistently striving to emerge as one of the better research centers to provide basis for academia as well as practice to pursue research. The degree of Ph D in Architecture is awarded upon completion. The Doctoral program aims to promote the value addition and knowledge percolation under graduate and post-graduate students.
“Foster Growth and Creativity”
Programme Educational Objectives
Every course delineates specific objectives in syllabus which progress in terms of learning and complexity with vertical progression of the semesters as follows.
- To introduce the meaning of ‘Design’ and relate it to ‘Architecture’
- To include workshop exercises involving real and abstract models to familiarize students with such skills
- To integrate abstract principles of design and anthropometric studies into Architectural studies
- To expose students the grammar of creating Architectural space and form
- To study individual variables like light, movement, transformation, scale, structure and skin in the formulation an devolution of Architectural form
- To understand the meaning of cultural and physical context of built environment techniques of reading such context
- To isolate the various factors of the context which influence the design of built environment
- To understand the difference in housing as a process and a product, the role of architect in creating the product and facilitating the process
- To understand the needs of privacy, communal spaces, efficiency of open spaces and ideas extended living areas
- To differentiate and understand the nature of organic and planned communities
- To understand the differences and similarities of institutional and architectural goals
- To understand creating of spaces of learning, formal, informal and interactive processes of learning and role of the built environment
- To understand the role of built environment in therapeutic and nurturing institutions
- To understand the use of technologies developed in other fields as a precursor to creating Architecture
- To learn about reading and documenting urban contexts and to understand the idea of urban space. To understand the difference between urban design as opposed to urban development
- To understand the role of architecture in shaping urban fabric
- To create architecture which fits into a specific urban context
- To understand the role of symbolic, aesthetic (thematic abstracts) and imagery in influencing architecture